The private equity fund Gradiente II, managed by Gradiente SGR, has completed the investment in Zafferano S.r.l., a group active in the design, production and distribution of lighting systems and tableware in glass, ceramic and porcelain, as reported in a notification on 10 February.
Zafferano s.r.l., a company founded and directed by the Venetian entrepreneur and designer Federico de Majo, has designed and distributed collections of lighting and glass tableware since 2001. In 2018 came the start of sales of the innovative Poldina portable lamp, which soon became the groups flagship product (with its own website). From this point on, Zafferano has become one of the leaders in the market segment of wireless and LED lighting. The firm has recently opened its own single-brand showroom in Milan.
Gradiente II, together with co-investors Qualitas Equity, has acquired a 70% share in the company. The remaining 30% share is held by the companies reporting to the founder of Zafferano, Federico de Majo, and the Zobele family. The objective of the operation is to grasp the opportunities offered by the sector along various lines: expansion of the product portfolio with the development of new lighting solutions, penetration in strategically interesting geographical areas, and digital development.
“Gradiente’s entry in the corporate ownership of Zafferano will permit the company I founded in 2001 to continue to grow, reinforcing its national and international position. This ushers in a new phase in the history of Zafferano, in which the company can take advantage of significant opportunities, in harmony with my original entrepreneurial project. I chose Gradiente as a partner because the fund has demonstrated its ability to manage acquisitions in an effective way, respecting their history and basic values, and their consolidated networks of relationships,” says Federico de Majo, founder of Zafferano, who will continue to act as President and CEO, guaranteeing total continuity.
“Zafferano is a case of Italian excellence active in a market that reflects favorable dynamics and interesting economic fundamentals. In recent years the company has gone through significant growth, repositioning itself as a lifestyle brand. We are pleased to support it in this new strategic growth project, ready to grasp the many opportunities offered by the sector: reinforcement of the position of leadership on the European and American market, and the launch of a process of digital transformation to support development of e-commerce channels,” says Carlo Bortolozzo, Founding Partner of Gradiente SGR.